ECA and WES - for Canada Immigration
Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) and Designated organizations:
What is Educational credential assessment (ECA) for Express Entry?
While applying for Express Entry, quite good points are given for Education. How to gain points for Education in Express Entry.
IRCC wants to assess the foreign credentials with a comparative model.
If you have completed education from outside of Canada and want to gain points in Express Entry, then you must evaluate the Canadian equivalency for your studies. Based on the ECA report, the points will be awarded to your studies.
Who does the evaluation?
Use one of these designated organizations if you want to get points for education in Express Entry:
- Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
- International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS)
- World Education Services (WES)
- International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
- International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES)
Assessments are done for different purposes. You choose the ECA for immigration purposes.
Other Designated professional bodies:
- For Physicians (NOC 3111 or NOC 3112) – Medical Council of Canada(the professional body for doctors)
If your primary occupation is specialist physician (NOC 3111) or general practitioner/family physician (NOC 3112), then do the assessment with the medical council, otherwise, you can use the other designated organizations.
- For Pharmacists (NOC 3131) – Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada(the professional body for pharmacists)
If you need a license to practice, then do the assessment with the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada.
If you will be practicing in a position where you don’t need a license, one of the other designated organizations can assess your credentials.
NOC website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/find-national-occupation-code.html
WES Process – Step by Step explanation
Sending Documents to WES
Step 1: Online Registration:
- Click on the link https://www.wes.org/ca/
- Click “Get started”
- Click “Canada” for the question, where will you use your evaluation?
- Start application “ECA Application for IRCC”
- Provide the email address and activate the login.
- Create the login with the following details.
- First name
- Middle name
- Last name
- Date of birth
- Security questions
- Mailing address
- Once the login is created, add credentials one by one with the following details.
- Country of education
- Type of education
- Name of the institution
- Name of the diploma/certificate
- Name exactly appears on the credential
- Field of study
- Year awarded and attended
- Add all necessary credentials like Bachelor degree, Masters, etc.,
- Check your mailing address and other recipients
- Pay the fees (currently 220 CAD + delivery charges)
Step 2: Sending Documents to WES:
The following documents need to be sent to WES for evaluation.
- Degree certificate (Final or Provisional) –Submit online on WES website.
*Upload a clear and legible copy
- Mark sheets/Transcripts – Approach the issuing institutions and send the official documents DIRECTLY from the issuing universities.
- Add the academic record request form in each package.
- Mail the packages to
WES Reference No. _ _ _ _ _ _ _
World Education Services
Attention: Documentation Center
102-2820 14th Avenue
Markham, ON L3R 0S9