A News release on Sep 24, 2020
The Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship, has announced action to speed up spousal application processing and help families build their lives together in Canada.
The key points are:
- IRCC increased the number of decision-makers by 66% to process spousal applications more quickly.
- IRCC is digitizing all paper applications for faster and efficient processing by their team.
- Planning to implement new biometrics measures and conduct remote interviews in adherence to public health protocols.
- With these initiatives, IRCC aims to accelerate, prioritize, and finalize approximately 6,000 spousal applications each month from October until December 2020.
- In short, planning to process 18, 000 spousal applications in the following three months and about 49,000 decisions by the end of this year.